South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Culp House, Union County (300 N. Mountain St., Union)
S1081774401501 S1081774401502 S1081774401503 S1081774401504 S1081774401505
Facade Left Oblique Left Elevation Facade Detail Main Entrance
S1081774401506        
2nd Story Porch/
Balustrade Detail

The Culp House, a classically styled two-story brick structure, was constructed for Mr. B. D. Culp, a prosperous businessman in early Union. Derived from the transitional architectural trends of the 1850s, the Culp House combines both Georgian and Neo-Classical motifs. The South Carolina low country flavor of the structure with its wide porticos and airy window treatments reflects Culp’s familiarity with the domestic architecture of Charleston, where he conducted a successful cotton trade. The front fašade features a two-tiered, five-bay porch with Doric columns, pilasters, and a pierced balustrade. An original detached kitchen is still standing, although in poor condition. The house is significant militarily and politically for two speeches delivered from its porches. B.F. Arthur, secretary of the Secession Convention, delivered an oration from the porch to the Johnson Rifles regiment on January 31, 1861. In October 1876, gubernatorial candidate Wade Hampton delivered a campaign address from the second story porch to a crowd of supporters and a mounted troop of his partisan “Red Shirt” followers. Listed in the National Register April 9, 1975.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.