|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Herndon Terrace, Union County (106 Herndon Terrace St., Union)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation|| Left Rear
|Main Entrance||Portico Detail||Cistern|
(W.E. Thomson House) Union, settled in 1791, usurped the prestige of Old Pinckneyville after 1800. It prospered first as a crossroads town and than as a wealthy upcountry planter town. Today, Union retains a number of impressive antebellum mansions in both county and town. Herndon Terrace is one of the best remaining examples of this type of architecture. Built ca. 1845-48, Herndon Terrace is an excellent example of a Greek Revival mansion. Massive columned porticos present identical facades on three sides, with solid brick columns covered with stucco. Front steps extend across the house. The interior features high frescoed ceilings and elaborately carved woodwork. A once separate kitchen now adjoins the house and an old slave cabin and cistern remain in the rear yard. The house was built and has always been occupied by the Herndon-Thomson family, prominent in Union County. Listed in the National Register August 25, 1970.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.