|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Fremont School, Spartanburg County (600 Magnolia St., Spartanburg)
|Left Oblique||Right Oblique|| Facade
| Facade Detail
|Rear Elevation|| Left Rear
|Left Elevation|| Front Left
(Freemont School) The Fremont School is significant as an excellent example of Classical Revival educational architecture of the first quarter of the twentieth century, with notable exterior features including decorative brickwork of Flemish bond with flashed headers, terra cotta ornamentation, Classical Revival entrance porticoes, and notable interior features including arched doorways in the cross corridor. It is also significant as the work of two of Spartanburg’s most notable architects, Luther D. Proffitt and J. Frank Collins. The school was constructed soon after the South Carolina General Assembly passed legislation in 1915 requiring all children between the ages of eight and fourteen to attend school, the first compulsory attendance law in South Carolina history. It is a two-story, with partially raised basement, brick building constructed in 1915 and receiving a major addition built on the south end in 1926 that nearly doubled the building’s size. The school was designed by Luther D. Proffitt, an architect practicing in Spartanburg ca. 1904-ca. 1936. The 1926 addition was designed by J. Frank Collins, an architect practicing in Spartanburg ca. 1911-ca. 1936. The building housed an elementary school from 1915 to 1979. Listed in the National Register October 27, 2000.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.