|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
1722-1724 Main St., Richland County (Columbia)
|Facade||Cornice Detail||Window Detail|| Window
(Bouchier Building) Constructed ca. 1913-14, the three-story structure located at 1722-24 gains its primary significance from its architecture. It was designed by Wilson and Sompayrac, a Columbia architectural firm. The building’s fašade has a strong repetitive design with large areas of glass on the upper floors. The heavily modelled terra cotta work includes balustrade, fruit and foliage bands and pilasters. The first floor is divided into two sections: on the right the storefront is three bays wide while the left storefront is two bays in width. Although both storefronts have been altered, most of the original terra cotta trim remains. The second and third floor pilasters have decorative bases and rectangular capitals. A modified entablature extends the width of the building with a graduated bellflower-like motif. A terra cotta parapet tops the building. Listed in the National Register November 25, 1980.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.