|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Cousin House, Newberry County (Nance St. Extension, Newberry)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Rear Elevation||Right Elevation|
(John Elmore House) Constructed ca. 1880 by C.C. “Cam” Davis for John Elmore, this Second Empire residence is a two-story dwelling, originally with a lower fašade of weatherboards under a second story shingled mansard. The mansard was recovered with weatherboards when the original shingles required replacement because of deterioration. Other intact Victorian elements of the house are a front and right side wraparound porch having a lattice frieze, turned posts and balustrade. A pedimented projecting entranceway extends from the porch. The house is the only example of the Second Empire style of architecture appearing in the city locality. The high quality of the interior woodwork is typical of “Cam” Davis’s work in Newberry. Listed in the National Register November 26, 1980.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Newberry includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.