|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
W. Q. M. Berly House, Lexington County (122 Berly St., Lexington)
|Facade|| Front Left
| Rear Left
| Left Rear
| Right Rear
One of the few remaining Victorian cottages in town, the W.Q.M. Berly House is an example of a town farmhouse. It is believed to have been built by Charles Wallace Harmon for W.Q.M. Berly, who farmed lands on the Saluda River near this property. He acquired the property in 1904. Upon his death in 1915, the property was inherited by his daughter Mrs. Bessie Kyzer, who died in 1963. The W.Q.M. Berly House, constructed in 1904, is a one-story, frame cottage with an irregular plan and a gable roof. The house is sheathed in weatherboard; the roof covered with standing seam metal. The fašade features a cross gable with imbricated shingles and sawn bargeboard, and a hip-roofed wraparound porch supported by turned posts with sawn brackets and a turned balustrade. The stained glass and incised wood center door, framed by transom and sidelights, is flanked by full-length six pane windows. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lexington County includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.