|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hartley House, Lexington County (305 E. Columbia Ave., Batesburg)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Main Entrance|
(Bond-Bates-Hartley House) The Hartley House is a two-and-one-half story weatherboard residence, with a central two-story portico, a closed brick foundation, and a gable roof. Architecturally the house is a typical upcountry farmhouse, with a portico adapted from the Greek Revival style. It is believed to be the oldest house in Batesburg. The house was given its present form ca. 1830; it may represent the extensive rebuilding of an earlier house. The house has two interior brick chimneys. The portico is supported by two square wooden pillars set outside a pair of smaller pillars. The central doorways on the first and second floors have vertically paned transoms and sidelights. According to local tradition, the house served as a stagecoach stop and post office prior to the founding of Batesburg. Wade Hampton’s Red Shirts reportedly held political meetings at this house. The house also served as Batesburg’s first masonic hall. Listed in the National Register July 9, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Batesburg-Leesville includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.