|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Lindley's Fort Site, Laurens County (Address Restricted)
|Fort Site||Trench at Site||Rock Lined Pit|
Lindley’s Fort played a small but significant role in the Revolutionary War history of the Saluda River in the old Ninety-Six district. As yet, the fort’s actual construction date has not been determined; however, there are indications that it was considered an “old fort” in 1776. Since no public record has been found, it is believed that the fort was constructed by a private individual for needed protection in the backcountry. It is possible that the fort was built during the early 1760s since there were Indian disturbances in the area during that time. Captain James Lindley, owner of the fort at the time of the American Revolution, was a Loyalist. He was in Colonel Thomas Fletchall’s regiment and held at least one meeting of Loyalists at his home. Part of the British plan of attack was to encourage Indian uprisings in the backcountry. At this point, on July 15, 1776, Lindley’s Fort became very important to the area residents. The site is located on a wooded hill, the highest rise of land surrounded mostly by open fields. If excavated, Lindley’s Fort Site may supply a ground plan of a frontier fort of this period. Listed in the National Register November 7, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.