South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Nickels-Milam House, Laurens County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 49, Laurens vicinity)
S1081773000701 S1081773000702 S1081773000703 S1081773000704 S1081773000705
Facade Left Oblique Right Oblique Right Elevation Rear Elevation
S1081773000706 S1081773000707 S1081773000708 S1081773000709  
Left Elevation Main Entrance Interior

The Nickels-Milam house was constructed ca. 1828 by Dr. John Nickels, a prominent and wealthy figure in the Lisbon community. Nickels’ wealth is documented by an 1850 inventory and appraisal of his estate that included 2,425 acres of land and 78 slaves. The family of Dr. Nickels was instrumental in the founding of Lisbon Presbyterian Church. The three-story frame house exemplifies the type of structure built by wealthy farmers in the upcountry of South Carolina during the early nineteenth century. The house remained in the possession of Dr. Nickels’ descendants until ca. 1920 when it was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Charles L. Milam. Mr. Milam represented the Laurens County government in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1937 until 1956. Although its exterior shows characteristics of Greek Revival architecture, the Nickels-Milam House is especially noteworthy for its interior, which is basically unaltered. The original moldings, paneled doors, and mantels remain in good condition, as does the wide-board flooring and much of the original hardware. Included in the nominated acreage are several barns and the family cemetery that is located directly across the street from the house. A cedar-lined driveway leads to the cemetery. Listed in the National Register May 28, 1976.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.