|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Heath Springs Depot, Lancaster County (E. Railroad Ave., Heath Springs)
(Southern Railway Depot) The Heath Springs Depot, constructed by the Southern Railway in 1903, is significant both as an intact example of early twentieth century depots built in South Carolina, and for its association with the transportation of freight and passengers on the Southern Railway in the period 1903-ca.1940. It was the third depot built at Heath Springs, which developed in the 1880s after railroad service was introduced to that section of Lancaster County. Its primary use was in the transportation of cotton, cottonseed and cotton oil products from nearby farms and cotton oil mills, textiles from nearby textile mills, and granite from the nearby quarry. The depot is a one-story frame building on a brick pier foundation, covered with shiplap siding and continuous molding at the window sill height. The crimped metal, hipped roof has slightly flared eaves, with a deep overhang supported by simple stylized brackets and knee braces. Listed in the National Register January 4, 1990.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lancaster County, ca. 1745-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.