|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Colonel Elias Earle Historic District, Greenville County (Greenville)
|800 N. Main St.||715 N. Main St.||12 W. Earle St.||20 W. Earle St.||22 W. Earle St.|
|23 W. Earle St.||24 W. Earle St.||100 W. Earle St.||104 W. Earle St.||107 W. Earle St.|
|108 W. Earle St.||110 W. Earle St.||115 W. Earle St.||116 W. Earle St.||117 W. Earle St.|
|119 W. Earle St.||123 W. Earle St.||125 W. Earle St.||200 W. Earle St.||204 W. Earle St.|
|Page 1 of 2|
The Colonel Elias Earle Historic District is significant for its mixture of early twentieth century architecture. The district was originally part of the estate of Colonel Elias Earle, a prominent early nineteenth century Greenville citizen. After 1900, the area was subdivided into residential lots and houses began being built in the area soon afterwards. Following the demand for textile products during World War I, Greenville experienced a building boom and the James-Earle Street area became a major middle class neighborhood. Most of the homes in the district were built during the 1920s by businessmen who prospered in the post-war era. The district contains excellent examples of Colonial Revival, Bungalow, Neo-Classical and Tudor Revival housing as well as many vernacular forms. The district contains eighty-seven properties of which a large percentage are residential. The district is well intact with few intrusions and most buildings share uniform setback. The majority of the district’s buildings were constructed between 1915 and 1930 and are one to two stories in height, of brick and frame construction. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Colonel Elias Earle Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Greenville, ca. 1810-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.