South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Manning Commercial Historic District, Clarendon County (Manning)
S1081771400801 S1081771400802 S1081771400803 S1081771400804 S1081771400805
Clarendon County
Courthouse
3 W. Keitt St.
U.S. Post Office
and Federal Building
6 W. Keitt St.
Coffey-Rigby
Livery Stable
27-29 S. Mill St.
23 S. Mill St. Peoples Bank
and Trust Building
9 S. Mill St.
S1081771400806 S1081771400807 S1081771400808 S1081771400809 S1081771400810
Clarendon Furniture
Store
7 S. Mill St.
Leonard Building
3 S. Mill St.
Manning Hotel
14-22 N. Mill St.
Nettles Building
29 W. Boyce St.
Abrams Building
13 W. Boyce St.
S1081771400811 S1081771400812 S1081771400813 S1081771400814 S1081771400815
Brailsford Grocery/
Schwartz Building
7 W. Boyce St.
Cut Rate
Drug Store
1 W. Boyce St.
Pure Oil
Service Station
2 S. Brooks St.
2-6 E. Boyce St. 8-10 E. Boyce St.

Page 1 of 2 Next

The Manning Commercial Historic District is significant architecturally as an intact collection of buildings associated with the governmental and commercial growth and development of Manning as the county seat for Clarendon County from ca. 1890 to 1958. The district is also architecturally significant as an example of the commercial development and evolution of a small southern agricultural center during the first half of the twentieth century. As a county seat town, Manning's downtown is dominated by its 1909 Neo-Classical, red brick courthouse set at the center of a landscaped courthouse square. As with many such towns in the rural Southeast, Manningís commercial district is characterized by one- and two-part commercial block buildings, many of them brick, that were constructed during the late Victorian and early twentieth century period. One event in particular, the devastating 1915 tornado, resulted in a building boom for Manning in the immediate aftermath of the tornado. Many of the shopfronts associated with these buildings have been modified with the installation of aluminum and glass windows and entrances, but most retain a number of original architectural details that allow the district to reflect a remarkable degree of integrity. Oblique and angled entrances, intriguing decorative cornices and corbeling, and a preponderance of parapeted rooflines give the Manning Commercial Historic District a clear and unmistakable association with the architecture typical of the early twentieth century. Although the cumulative effect of some alterations classifies twelve buildings as non-contributing, forty-six buildings maintain significant architectural integrity and contribute to the historic districtís ability to convey its character from the period of significance. Listed in the National Register May 28, 2010.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Manning Commercial Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.