South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Manning Commercial Historic District, Clarendon County (Manning)
S1081771400816 S1081771400817 S1081771400818 S1081771400819 S1081771400820
Levi Warehouse
15 E. Boyce St.
9-11 E. Boyce St. "The Annex"
7 E. Boyce St.
Levi Block
2 N. Brooks St.
Dixie Cafe
6 N. Brooks St.
S1081771400821 S1081771400822 S1081771400823 S1081771400824 S1081771400825
Central Coffee
Shop
8 N. Brooks St.
Leon Weinberg
Building
22 N. Brooks St.
Aldermans' 20
Stores in One
34 N. Brooks St.
Coffey Gulf
Service Station
E. Rigby and
N. Brooks Sts.
Market Bureau
6 E. Rigby St.
S1081771400826 S1081771400827 S1081771400828 S1081771400829 S1081771400830
Dr. W. S. Harvin
Office
3 E. Rigby
Gamble's Esso
Service Station
E. Rigby and
N. Brooks St.
W. P. Legg
Carriage Company
21-23 N. Brooks St.
Home Bank and
Trust Building
19 N. Brooks St.
Metropol's
Package Store
9 N. Brooks St.

Previous Page 2 of 2

The Manning Commercial Historic District is significant architecturally as an intact collection of buildings associated with the governmental and commercial growth and development of Manning as the county seat for Clarendon County from ca. 1890 to 1958. The district is also architecturally significant as an example of the commercial development and evolution of a small southern agricultural center during the first half of the twentieth century. As a county seat town, Manning's downtown is dominated by its 1909 Neo-Classical, red brick courthouse set at the center of a landscaped courthouse square. As with many such towns in the rural Southeast, Manningís commercial district is characterized by one- and two-part commercial block buildings, many of them brick, that were constructed during the late Victorian and early twentieth century period. One event in particular, the devastating 1915 tornado, resulted in a building boom for Manning in the immediate aftermath of the tornado. Many of the shopfronts associated with these buildings have been modified with the installation of aluminum and glass windows and entrances, but most retain a number of original architectural details that allow the district to reflect a remarkable degree of integrity. Oblique and angled entrances, intriguing decorative cornices and corbeling, and a preponderance of parapeted rooflines give the Manning Commercial Historic District a clear and unmistakable association with the architecture typical of the early twentieth century. Although the cumulative effect of some alterations classifies twelve buildings as non-contributing, forty-six buildings maintain significant architectural integrity and contribute to the historic districtís ability to convey its character from the period of significance. Listed in the National Register May 28, 2010.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.