South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Cheraw Historic District, Chesterfield County (Cheraw)
S1081771300116 S1081771300117 S1081771300118 S1081771300119 S1081771300120
Mill House #2
Church and High Sts.
Moore House
620 Kershaw St.
Matheson Memorial
612 Kerhsaw St.
Blue House
416 Greene St.
McIver St.
S1081771300121 S1081771300122 S1081771300123 S1081771300124 S1081771300125
Hartzell House
143 McIver St.
Edwin Malloy
Third St.
223 Greene St.
Lafayette House
Third and Kershaw Sts.
Old Mally House
(The Teacherage)
Third and Kershaw Sts.
S1081771300126 S1081771300127 S1081771300128 S1081771300129 S1081771300130
Law Office
Market St.
314 Market St. Boxwood Hall
317 Market St.
M. W. Duvall
320 Market St.
125 High St.

Previous Page 2 of 3 Next

Around 1736 Welsh Baptists came to South Carolina and settled in the Pee Dee region. In 1766 Eli Kershaw, who had been given a grant of land along the Pee Dee River, laid out the town of Cheraw. It was incorporated in 1820. Located at a key navigational point, Cheraw began to develop as a commercial center of interior South Carolina; however, the Civil War and Reconstruction temporarily halted this progress. For a time development was impeded and rebuilding was delayed. Although the town eventually prospered, much of its physical character remained unaltered. The town of Cheraw also played an important role in South Carolina military history. During both the American Revolution and the Civil War, British and Union troops used St. David’s Episcopal Church as a hospital. The meeting house style church still stands today. Additionally in 1825, Revolutionary War figure Marquis de Lafayette stayed in Cheraw during his tour of the United States. Located within the district are a variety of architectural styles that include the early frame homes of the 1800s (often called upcountry farmhouses, or essentially I-House in type), antebellum structures with Classical Revival details and Greek Revival porticos, and Victorian houses from the turn of the century. The district also includes several churches, a cemetery, and the towns’ original boundary markers dating from 1766. Listed in the National Register November 20, 1974.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.