South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Cheraw Historic District, Chesterfield County (Cheraw)
S1081771300101 S1081771300102 S1081771300103 S1081771300104 S1081771300105
Town Hall
Market and Second Sts.
First Presbyterian
Third and Market Sts.
First Presbyterian
Church Sessions House
Third and Market Sts.
St. Peter's
Catholic Church
602 Market St.
First Methodist Church
Third St.
S1081771300106 S1081771300107 S1081771300108 S1081771300109 S1081771300110
Original Boundary
High and Market Sts.
Market St.
Chicola Club/
Brady's Resturant
Market St.
Merchant's Bank
232 Market St.
First Federal
Savings and Loan
150 Market St.
S1081771300111 S1081771300112 S1081771300113 S1081771300114 S1081771300115
B.C. Moore and Sons Coulter Memorial
Academy Building
Ellerbe-McIver House
Church St.
Godfrey House
417 Church St.
Mill House #1
Church and High Sts.

Page 1 of 3 Next

Around 1736 Welsh Baptists came to South Carolina and settled in the Pee Dee region. In 1766 Eli Kershaw, who had been given a grant of land along the Pee Dee River, laid out the town of Cheraw. It was incorporated in 1820. Located at a key navigational point, Cheraw began to develop as a commercial center of interior South Carolina; however, the Civil War and Reconstruction temporarily halted this progress. For a time development was impeded and rebuilding was delayed. Although the town eventually prospered, much of its physical character remained unaltered. The town of Cheraw also played an important role in South Carolina military history. During both the American Revolution and the Civil War, British and Union troops used St. David’s Episcopal Church as a hospital. The meeting house style church still stands today. Additionally in 1825, Revolutionary War figure Marquis de Lafayette stayed in Cheraw during his tour of the United States. Located within the district are a variety of architectural styles that include the early frame homes of the 1800s (often called upcountry farmhouses, or essentially I-House in type), antebellum structures with Classical Revival details and Greek Revival porticos, and Victorian houses from the turn of the century. The district also includes several churches, a cemetery, and the towns’ original boundary markers dating from 1766. Listed in the National Register November 20, 1974.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Cheraw Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.