|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Battery Gadsden, Charleston County (2017 Ion Ave., Sullivan’s Island)
|Gun Platform|| Turncated Pyramid
Battery Gadsden constructed 1903-1904 by G.P. Howell, is one of a series of batteries stretching from Fort Moultrie on the west to the eastern end of Sullivan’s Island. Charleston Harbor has always had some form of fixed harbor defense beginning with Fort Johnson in 1708 and culminating with the construction of these batteries in the fortification of Sullivan’s Island at the mouth of Charleston Harbor. This four, six inch gun, coastal defense battery was built to protect Charleston Harbor. The battery, approximately 377 feet long and 84 feet wide, consists of two sections: the glacis and the armament complex. The glacis is a relatively smooth, slightly sloping area on the sides and front of the battery which protects the armament complex from bombardment. The armament complex consists of four recessed disappearing gun platforms or foundations, the loading platforms, ammunition hoists (one per gun) and various staircases or ramps for access. The front or ocean side of the battery is approximately 7 feet high. Walls and ceilings are of concrete. All guns and machinery were removed in 1917. Listed in the National Register June 25, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.