|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Land's End Road Tabby Ruins, Beaufort County (Address Restricted)
|Tabby Foundation Ruins||Tabby Foundation Ruins|
Plantation property lines illustrated on nineteenth century plats indicate this site was located within either Orange Grove Plantation or the Ann Fripp property. This site does not represent the main houses associated with either plantation as they were located elsewhere. The site is a significant archaeological site which exhibits clarity, density, and diversity of cultural deposits. The integrity of the site appears to be good and the site has the potential to yield significant scientific data relative to both high and low status St. Helena Island plantation lifeways. Surface artifacts represent the archaeological remains of a large late eighteenth to early nineteenth century house. The most obvious feature denoting the site is a tabby foundation pier of a large tabby structure. In addition to the tabby pier, linear configurations of degraded tabby suggest foundation remains which may define partial outlines of a structure. The site is situated in a field recently planted with pines and a mixed pine and hardwood forest. Listed in the National Register October 6, 1988.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of St. Helena Island, ca. 1740-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.