South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Fort Frederick, Beaufort County (Address Restricted)
S1081770702101 S1081770702102
Monument Remains of Wall

(Spanish Fort; Old Fort) The Journal of the Common House of Assembly of South Carolina for January 21, 1726 stated that “in case of war the enemy might be attracted by the excellent Port Royal Harbor.” Beaufort was very near Spanish territory; attention was being given to defense against the Spaniards and Indians who had attacked on numerous occasions. Fort Frederick came into being in 1734. The tabby fortification was maintained “to the mental, if not to the physical, sense of security” for the Beaufort inhabitants. By 1756, it had fallen into disrepair and was ultimately abandoned in 1758. A stronger defense, Fort Lyttleton, was constructed a little further up the river and Fort Frederick was deserted. In 1862 the property was used as headquarters of Col. Thomas Wentworth Higginson and a regiment of black soldiers. The camp was given the name “Camp Saxton” in honor of General Rufus Saxton, who commanded the Beaufort District. Part of the original fort was destroyed by and is under the waters of the Beaufort River. The walls are the only visible remains of the fort and are in a sturdy but deteriorated condition. They are approximately 5’8” thick and 3-4’ high. Listed in the National Register December 31, 1974.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.