|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Bleachery Water Treatment Plant, York County (Stewart Ave., Rock Hill)
| Facade with
|Right Oblique|| Front Gable
|Main Entrance||Right Elevation|
| Right Rear
The Bleachery Water Treatment Plant, inclusive of its building and above and in-ground filtration/purification basins, is significant in the textile development of the city of Rock Hill and for how it supported and made possible the expansion of the textile industrial complex there. In addition, it is significant as an excellent local example of Colonial Revival architecture. The Bleachery Water Treatment Plant is a one-story brick building and filtration/purification facility constructed in 1930 as part of a large textile facility development. The Rock Hill Printing and Finishing Company (locally known as the Bleachery) was a major investment in Rock Hill by M. Lowenstein Company of New York City. To serve the massive new facility and the growing city, the citizens of Rock Hill passed a bond issue to create a new water treatment facility. A raw water intake on the Catawba River and large water mains were constructed to the site of the treatment facility on the northwest corner of the Bleachery complex. Listed in the National Register March 6, 2008.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.