|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
W. L. Hill Store, York County (3034 York St., Sharon)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Elevation|| Interior
The W. L. Hill Store is an intact, virtually unaltered example of an early twentieth century rural department store. Built around 1913, it reflects a nationwide trend towards merchandising on a grander scale, which resulted in the virtual extinction of the rural country store in America. Standing three stories tall, it would have been small in comparison to urban department stores, but in rural South Carolina it was perceived to be a giant. Designed by locally prominent architect Julian Starr, the W. L. Hill store mimicked the larger urban stores in its grandness, prominent siting, and dramatic interior space. It is by far the largest building in the town. The walls of the building are laid in common bond of brick that was handmade on site using local materials. Raised brickwork, resembling pairs of engaged pilasters, mark the divisions between the three sections of the fašade and also the edges of the fašade. The parapet roof is enhanced by decorative corbelling. The interior is notable for its solid oak floors and the grand cherry staircase which dominates the center of the first floor. Listed in the National Register January 20, 1995.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.