|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Wilson House, York County (107 Clebourne St., Ft. Mill)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Right Rear
|Rear Elevation||Main Entrance|
(Hull House) The Wilson House, ca. 1869, is significant as an example of Victorian residential architecture. It represents the early growth of Fort Mill, as it was originally located on Main Street and was moved to accommodate commercial expansion. For a period of time following the construction of the railroad through Fort Mill in 1852, the village grew as a trading center and point of sale for cotton grown in the surrounding countryside. As merchants became successful, larger houses began to appear, clustered around Main Street. In 1869, Stewart Wilson built the Wilson House on Main Street. In the 1920s the house was moved to its present location on Clebourne Street, just around the corner from the original location. Several houses on Main Street faced demolition or moving to make way for the expansion of commercial properties. The Wilson House is the only known house that still exists that underwent this process. The house is a two-story I-House with several one-story rear additions. The one-story hip-roofed front porch features four chamfered posts and two engaged posts of the same type, decorative sawn brackets with turned pendants, and a turned balustrade. Listed in the National Register June 11, 1992.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fort Mill, ca. 1779-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.