|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Thornwell-Elliott House, York County (118 Confederate St., Ft. Mill)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique|
The Thornwell-Elliot House is significant for its connection with Rev. James H. Thornwell, Jr., pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Fort Mill from 1882 to 1905 and a leader in the religious life of the town. It is also significant for its architecture, which provides an excellent example of Victorian vernacular design, with some elements of the Queen Anne style. The house was built in a period of growth in Fort Mill following the location of the railroad and the development of the town as a market center. During this period, there was an expansion of residential properties. While the exact date of construction is unknown, from the evidence of deed transfers it can be assumed that the house was built prior to 1877. The L-shaped house has a lateral gable to the left and a front facing gable to the right. The front gable has a rounded arch louvered vent with decorative bargeboard. The porch has a hip roof, chamfered posts with decorative brackets, and turned balustrade. The house remained in the Thornwell and related Elliot family until 1970. Listed in the National Register June 11, 1992.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fort Mill, ca. 1779-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.