South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Mills House, York County (122 Confederate St., Ft. Mill)
S1081774603801 S1081774603802 S1081774603803 S1081774603804 S1081774603805
Facade Main Entrance Entrance Portico Left Oblique Right Oblique
S1081774603806 S1081774603807 S1081774603808 S1081774603809 S1081774603810
Right Rear
Oblique
Rear Elevation Left Rear
Oblique
Eave Detail 2nd Story
Porch Entrance

(Mack House) Constructed in 1906 as part of the expansion of Fort Mill’s residential areas during a period of prosperity and growth resulting from the development of the textile industry, the Mills House is an example of the Classical Revival style. It is perhaps the best example of this style in Fort Mill. The fašade is dominated by a central lower porch topped by an upper tier and flanked by side porches connected by decking. All porches have Doric columns and balustrade with turned balusters. The slate roof of the house is hipped, has a north-facing gable, and is capped by a balustraded deck. The first owner was John Barron Mills, Sr., a Fort Mill businessman. He was the first manager of the “Company Store” of the Fort Mill Manufacturing Company. He later became an independent businessman, operating Mills & Young, a dry goods and clothing store. Mills served as a leader of the business community in Fort Mill. After Mills’ death, the house passed into the related Mack family. It is often referred to as the Mack House. Listed in the National Register June 11, 1992.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fort Mill, ca. 1779-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.