|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Mack-Belk House, York County (119 Banks St., Ft. Mill)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Rear Elevation|
The Mack-Belk House, an example of Late Victorian architecture with Italianate influences, consists of a one-story rear section built in the 1860s and a two-story main block built about 1890. The house shows influences of the Italianate style, including paired windows in the central bay, segmental arches, wide roof overhangs, and a hip roof. There is a one-story hip-roofed porch across the fašade and wrapping around a portion of the east elevation. The porch has chamfered posts and a decorative balustrade. The brick is laid in six-to-one common bond. The house has been associated with the Mack and Belk families for about one hundred years. It was occupied by Dr. Edward Mack, a native of Fort Mill who was a Presbyterian minister that later taught for a number of years at the seminary located in Richmond, Virginia. After his death, the house was owned by his sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Mack Belk. Her husband, Thomas Heath Belk, operated a mercantile store on Fort Mill’s Main Street and was part of the Belk family which was developing a chain of stores. Listed in the National Register June 11, 1992.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fort Mill, ca. 1779-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.