South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Banks-Mack House, York County (329 Confederate St., Ft. Mill)
S1081774603501 S1081774603502
Facade Left Oblique

The Banks-Mack House is significant because it represents an excellent example of residential architecture in the Classical Revival style. The house, originally built about 1871, was enlarged and renovated in 1910, when many elements of the then-popular Classical Revival style were added. Owners of the house have been closely related to the development of Fort Mill in a number of areas. W. H. Stewart, a contractor for the construction of the first building of the Fort Mill Manufacturing Company, built the house. Stewart also served in the South Carolina House of Representatives. From Stewart the house passed to the Banks family. Hattie Banks Mack and her husband, Rev. J. B. Mack, expanded the house in 1910, adding a second floor and a wraparound porch. Contractors built the porch around a large hickory tree that Mrs. Mack refused to have cut down. The house with the tree growing through the porch became a local landmark. The tree was destroyed by Hurricane Hugo in 1989, with surprisingly little damage to the house. Listed in the National Register June 11, 1992.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Fort Mill, ca. 1779-ca. 1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.