|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hermon Presbyterian Church, York County (446 Dave Lyle Blvd., Rock Hill)
Hermon Presbyterian Church is significant as an excellent example of a small Late Gothic Revival church building, with sophisticated architectural details. It is also significant as one of the oldest and best established organizations in Rock Hill related to the black community, and thus provides evidence of the importance of the black heritage to the city. The congregation began in 1869 with 41 members. Most were African Americans who had been members of other Presbyterian congregations prior to the Civil War and wished to have a church organization of their own. By the 1890s, the church had grown sufficiently to begin the process of building a permanent church building. The brick building was completed in 1903, largely through the work of its own membership. While the architect is unknown, members who led the work included carpenter George A. Watts and bricklayer Howard Agurs. The fašade is dominated by a three-story bell tower at the right corner. Within the center of the fašade is a large window with a corbelled-arch surround with keystone and quoins. Listed in the National Register June 10, 1992.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Rock Hill, 1820-1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.