South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

First Presbyterian Church, York County (234 E. Main St., Rock Hill)
S1081774602801 S1081774602802 S1081774602803 S1081774602804
Facade Left Oblique Left Elevation Bell Tower

The First Presbyterian Church began in 1855 as the mission church, Antioch Chapel, of Ebenezer Presbyterian. In 1869, members successfully petitioned for the organization of a separate church at Rock Hill, renaming the congregation the First Presbyterian Church. In 1875, the congregation completed construction of a new brick church. As the congregation grew, a new sanctuary became necessary. A committee selected prominent South Carolina architect Charles Coker Wilson to design the present sanctuary that was constructed in 1895. The design is a combination of a number of influences of the Late Victorian period, including elements of Romanesque Revival and Late Gothic Revival. The church consists of two major sections, the sanctuary and the educational building, built in 1922. The sanctuary has a polygonal central block with an octagonal roof capped by a cupola. There are eight gables projecting from this central block, five of which contain round stained glass windows which light the sanctuary. At the east corner is a five-story bell tower. The roof is slate. The interior utilizes the Akron plan with pews angled in a circular alignment to provide excellent site lines to the pulpit. The educational building, which extends to the rear of the sanctuary, was designed by Rock Hill architect A.D. Gilchrist. Listed in the National Register June 10, 1992.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Rock Hill, 1820-1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.