|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
William Elliott White House, York County (N. White St., Ft. Mill vicinity)
|Left Oblique|| Left Rear
(Elliott White Springs House) The William Elliott White House was built in 1831 by Thomas B. Hoover, a York County contractor, for William Elliott White. The two-story brick house is architecturally significant for its upcountry adaptation of Federal design elements. The formal symmetry of the fašade, the tall proportions and slender mullions of the windows, and the elegant south portico are typical of the style. The expression of this high-style design in the then relatively undeveloped north central part of the state, as well as the high quality craftsmanship of the brick and plaster work, are noteworthy. In addition, the house has historical significance as one of the sites of what is believed to have been the last full meeting of the Cabinet of the Confederate States of America. In the twentieth century, the house was the home of Elliott White Springs, South Carolina textile magnate. Springs added the east wing in 1922, the west wing in 1936, and the greenhouse/pool in 1955. He owned the Springs mills, one of the most successful textile organizations in the Southeast. Springs was also a writer of short stories in the 1920s and 1930s that popularized the adventures of American and British pilots of World War I and told tales of the “lost generation” that attempted to adjust to modern life after the war ended. Listed in the National Register March 22, 1987.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.