|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hightower Hall, York County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 165, Brattonsville vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique|| Right Rear
Built ca. 1853 for John Simpson Bratton II, a locally prominent planter and politician, Hightower Hall is a significant vernacular interpretation of the Italianate style. Bratton, a wealthy planter, served two terms in the South Carolina House of Representatives, as postmaster of Brattonsville, and was a member of the Soldiers Board of Relief during the Civil War. The two-story frame house is named for a tower that rises ten feet above the main roof of the house that was reportedly designed as an observation platform so that Bratton could watch over his plantation. Along with the prominent three-story tower, the house features a low-pitched roof, deep eaves, brackets and verandas all common to the Italianate style. The house is weatherboarded with a raised brick basement. The porches rest on high brick piers and feature chamfered square posts, sawn brackets, stickwork friezes, and sawn ornament in their balustrades. Hightower Hall is also noteworthy for its trompe l-oeil painting, simulating marble pilasters, in its first floor central hall. The plantation includes four original outbuildings, two barns and two slave cabins. An unidentified Englishman reportedly designed the gardens of Hightower Hall. Listed in the National Register June 28, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Image provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.