|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Anderson House, York County (227 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill)
|Facade||Left Oblique|| Interior
The Anderson House is significant for its association with John Gary Anderson, a key figure in the development of Rock Hill and the co-founder and president of the Anderson Motor Company, one of the few automobile manufacturing companies in the South during the early days of the automotive industry. Anderson was also significant in the field of agriculture for his creation of the Rock Hill Plan for reducing cotton acreage. In addition, the Anderson House is significant for its elaborate Queen Anne design. According to tradition, A. D. Holler, the foremost builder in Rock Hill at the time, built the house in 1898, according to a design published by George F. Barber, a nationally recognized architect from Tennessee who propagated his work in numerous architectural pattern books. It is a two-and-one-half-story frame building with a three-story turret on the north corner of the fašade. A one-story porch wraps around the turret and spans the fašade, with an attached gazebo at the south (left) end. The roof is of slate, with metal crestings. Two brick chimneys with corbelled caps rise above the roof. Listed in the National Register May 13, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Image provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.