|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Bethel Presbyterian Church, York County (S.C. Hwy. 557, Clover vicinity)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Right Elevation|
Bethel Presbyterian Church, located near the town of Clover, was built in the spring and summer of 1873. The church, a local interpretation of a colonial meeting house, is set on the second level of a hill near a spring. It is the fourth house of worship to occupy this site and is architecturally significant as an example of style and construction methods of a much earlier period. The heavy post and beam, hand-hewn, wooden pegged construction is unusual for so late in the century, especially when lighter, more rapid assembled methods were in common use. The king post truss used in Bethel’s roof structure is an ancient design found in some of America’s earliest churches. Bethel represents an architectural achievement during a time of political and social upheaval and economic adversity that marked the Reconstruction era. Bethel’s congregation constructed a commodious house of worship under severely reduced circumstances, doing so without incurring debt. Bethel was the “mother church” to two other Presbyterian churches formed in the area. A large well-tended cemetery covers three acres of a ridge on the property’s east side. Enclosed by a stone wall, it contained some three to four thousand graves in 1887, the earliest marker dated 1774. Many Revolutionary soldiers of the Battle of Kings Mountain are buried here. Listed in the National Register December 10, 1980.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Image provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.