South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

York Historic District, York County
S1081774601001 S1081774601002 S1081774601003 S1081774601004 S1081774601005
York County
S. Congress St.
First Presbyterian
W. Liberty St.
York Associated
Presbyterian Church
N. Congress St.
Good Shepherd
Episcopal Church
108 E. Liberty St.
106 E. Liberty St.
S1081774601006 S1081774601007 S1081774601008 S1081774601009 S1081774601010
Trinity United
Methodist Church
E. Liberty St.
Rose's Hotel
100-102 S. Congress St.
Latta House
7 S. Congress St.
Wilson House
3 S. Congress St.
First National
Bank of York
1 S. Congress St.
S1081774601011 S1081774601012 S1081774601013 S1081774601014 S1081774601015
Bratton Store
1 N. Congress St.
3-9 N. Congress St. 8 N. Congress St. 11 N. Congress St. Moore House
and Store
13-15 N. Congress St.
S1081774601016 S1081774601017 S1081774601018 S1081774601019 S1081774601020
Ware's Supermarket
14 N. Congress St.
23 N. Congress St. White Rose
22 N. Congress St.
24 N. Congress St. 26 N. Congress St.

Page 1 of 4 Next

The York Historic District consists of approximately 180 contributing properties located in the significant downtown commercial and residential areas of the town of York. Although there are numerous structures from the early settlement of the town, the majority were constructed in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Established as the county seat, York has continuously served as a political center for York County. In 1785, the South Carolina Legislature enacted the establishment of York County. A centrally located site called Fergus Crossroads was chosen to be the county seat and became known as Yorkville. The name was shortened to York in 1915. The town incorporated in 1841. At the eve of the Civil War, York had the second highest per capita income in the state and considered itself to be “the Charleston of the Upcountry.” During Reconstruction, York became a major center for Ku Klux Klan activities, and as a result, Federal troops were stationed in the town. The early 1890s saw the beginning of the growth of the textile industry in York and the presence of Cannon Mills and Spring Mills had a large effect of the town’s growing economic prosperity. Today, the York Historic District’s visual appearance is primarily that of a nineteenth and early twentieth century town. The District includes commercial, residential, religious, and industrial structures. Reflective of the different eras of the town’s development, these structures show a diversity of architectural forms, including Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Italianate, Classical Revival, Victorian, Commercial, and Bungalow. Listed in the National Register October 18, 1979.

View a map showing the boundaries of the York Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.