|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Witherspoon-Hunter House, York County (15 W. Liberty St., York)
|Facade||Left Oblique|| Left Rear
| Right Rear
The Witherspoon-Hunter House was probably built ca. 1825 and is significant as having been the home of two of York’s leading families. It is also significant architecturally, being an example of an early 19th century upcountry townhouse. The structure was probably built by Thomas B. Hoover. In 1823 Hoover bought three contiguous lots for $550. In 1831 Hoover sold this property to Isaac D. Witherspoon for $3,000. Witherspoon was a lawyer and prominent figure in both local and state politics. He served in the South Carolina Senate between 1840 and 1856, and while a member also served as Lieutenant Governor between 1842 and 1844. In 1880, John Jackson Hunter bought the house. Hunter was a Civil War veteran, ran a dry goods business and served as mayor of York. Constructed of wood, the structure rests upon a raised brick basement. It consists of a two-story front section covered by a gable roof, and a one-story L-shaped annex at the rear. A double-tiered portico on the front, which appears to be a later addition, is supported by three square columns supporting a pediment. Included within the nominated acreage is a small brick building of unknown construction origin or original purpose. Listed in the National Register February 7, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.