|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hart House, York County (220 E. Liberty St., York)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation|| Interior
The Hart House is significant in terms of both architecture and local history. David Gordon built the Hart House ca. 1855. In the 1860s and 1870s, James Franklin Hart, a lawyer who was one of three South Carolinians appointed in 1881 to codify the laws of the state, owned the house. Hart also served in the state Senate and in 1888 was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention. In 1880 he sold the property to his law partner, George Washington Seabrook Hart, a prominent local figure and president of the Loan and Savings Bank of Yorkville. The Hart House is an excellent example of a Greek Revival raised cottage. Interesting features of the house include Palladian windows in the gable ends of the roof and the front door sidelights and transom that exhibit a Gothic Revival influence. The front fašade features a double portico with simple square columns and pilasters on the main floor, and brick piers and central arch on the basement level. The rear fašade reveals several additions and alterations, having originally featured a double portico with shed roof. Listed in the National Register December 2, 1977.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.