|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Tillman Hall, York County (Winthrop University, Rock Hill)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Rear Elevation||Cornerstone|
Completed in 1894, Tillman Hall (originally Main Building) has served as the focal point of the Winthrop College campus since the school’s opening session in 1895. Winthrop was the first state-supported college for women in South Carolina. One of the few remaining examples of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture in the state, it is also one of the most outstanding. The firm of Bruce and Morgan from Atlanta designed Tillman Hall and the Thompson Decker Construction Company of Birmingham built the building with labor provided by convicts from the South Carolina State Penitentiary. The building is constructed of red, pressed brick, laid in a bond entirely of stretchers. It is three stories high and includes a basement and attic. The roof is a combination of a gabled and hipped configuration. It is covered with slate and copper with galvanized iron cornices. The building features dramatic semicircular and elliptical arches with radiating voussoirs and keystones, a bracketed belt course, projecting bay windows, a Sullivanesque-style frieze and floral motifs, a native granite foundation, a conical-roofed clock tower with open belfry, and elaborate interior wood and plaster work. In 1962 Main Building was renamed Tillman Hall. Benjamin R. Tillman, Governor and U.S. Senator, was an early advocated of a state-supported college for women. Listed in the National Register December 2, 1977.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.