|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Ebenezer Academy, York County (2132 Ebenezer Rd., Rock Hill)
|Right Oblique||Right Elevation|
Located on the grounds of Ebenezer Presbyterian Church, Ebenezer Academy, ca. 1860, is the oldest known school building standing in York County. Part of a trend that established academies throughout the South, Ebenezer is believed to have its origins in the early nineteenth century (ca. 1819). The present structure replaced the earlier structure which had burned. The Presbyterians were particularly active in establishing academies and Ebenezer was one of their schools. Ebenezer offered young men college preparatory courses in the classics and sciences and later enlarged its curriculum to include history, grammar, geography and mathematics. Ebenezer represents a type of institution that flourished in the South during the first half of the nineteenth century and that declined at the end of that century with the growth of public education. When Rock Hill public schools were established ca. 1888, the academy was leased to York County for an elementary school, a use which continued until 1950 when it was deeded back to the church. The Academy is a brick rectangular structure of simple design. The bricks are laid in common bond on a coursed fieldstone foundation. The interior is composed of one large classroom and two smaller rooms. Listed in the National Register August 16, 1977.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.