|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Wilson House, York County (3 S. Congress St., York)
(Yorkville Jail; Old Jail) Built in 1828 by Thomas B. Hoover, the Yorkville Jail is attributed to Robert Mills. Characteristic of his style, the jail was built at a time when Mills was living in South Carolina and may have been one of his designs. The three-story building with its fine proportions and detailed brickwork is an exceptional example of small town prison architecture. Characteristic of Mills’ style are details of the building such as brick arches, a semi-circular fanlight, matching false window recesses, and an overall concern for proportion and symmetry. In 1853 William A. Latta purchased the property and gave it to his daughter Annie Latta Wilson. Converted into a residence, the building was known as the Wilson House. The brick building was again used as a jail during Reconstruction when Federal troops, stationed in York County for 16 years, imprisoned Ku Klux Klan members. The area was a stronghold of Klan activity. During these years, the old jail at York held many Klan members and was referred to locally as the “United States Hotel.” Listed in the National Register November 20, 1974.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.