South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Brattonsville Historic Distirct, York County (Brattonsville)
S1081774600301 S1081774600302 S1081774600303 S1081774600304 S1081774600305
Revolutionary
House
Pre-Renovation
Revolutionary
House
Post-Renovation
Homestead
Pre-Renovation
Homestead
Post-Renovation
Brick House

Brattonsville is a small but important area of York County significant for its architectural record of South Carolina development. Brattonsville Historic District includes three distinctive homes built between 1776 and 1855 by the Bratton’s, a prominent York County family. The Revolutionary House, built in 1776 by Colonel William Bratton, was originally a one-room log house with a small porch. It was the home of Colonel William Bratton who fought in the Revolutionary War. Later additions were added to the original structure and clapboard siding was placed over the original logs. The Homestead, Brattonsville’s second house built ca. 1830, was the home of Dr. John S. Bratton and was significant as a center of an 8500-acre agricultural complex. This twelve-room, two-and-one-half-story antebellum mansion is an example of Greek Revival residential architecture. The interior features Adam mantels, exquisite dadoes, and a carved staircase. The Brick House, built in 1855, has a two-story brick fašade with end chimneys, a two-tiered portico, stucco-over-brick columns, and a two-story wooden wing at back. It was originally a private boarding school for girls. Listed in the National Register August 19, 1971.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Brattonsville Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.