|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
White House, York County (258 E. White St., Rock Hill)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Window Detail||Log House|| Log House
The White House, formerly a plantation home, now stands within the city limits of Rock Hill. It is considered to be the oldest house in Rock Hill, incorporated in 1870. Occupied by five successive generations of the White family, the house is a reminder of the Scotch-Irish who settled the upcountry. Built between 1832-1842, the large frame dwelling with two-story piazzas, small columns, and tall end chimneys was designed in the typical upcountry plantation style. The house reflects the prosperity that came to upcountry settlers who were able to replace their original pioneer log cabins with plantation homes. While the plantation home was being built the White’s lived in the first home at the site, the log cabin which still stands at the rear of the White House. The frame building was constructed with hand-hewn oak sills, heart of pine weatherboarding, and the wide board floors typical of antebellum houses. Some Victorian scrollwork was added to the two front porches in the 1890s. It was modernized in the 1920s with electricity and central heating. Its builders were early Scotch-Irish Presbyterian settler George Pendleton Stuart White and his wife Ann Hutchinson White. Listed in the National Register December 2, 1969.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.