|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
John Calvin Wilson House, Williamsburg County (S.C. Hwy. 512, Indiantown vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Detail Right Oblique||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation|
|Right Rear Elevation||Detail of Rain Porch|
The John Calvin Wilson House is a two-story, frame central-hall farmhouse reputedly built ca. 1847. It is believed to have been constructed ca. 1847 by George Cooper for his daughter, Jane McCottry Cooper, who married John Calvin Wilson. The house is representative of the vernacular central-hall, I-House type frame farmhouse that was common throughout the United States in the early and middle nineteenth century. With its hewn, pegged, heavy timber braced frame, the house is also representative of the building technology of the eighteenth and early nineteenth century in South Carolina. A shed roofed, one-story “Carolina” or “rain porch” supported by four stuccoed brick columns spans the fašade. The windows are nine-over-nine with paneled shutters. The rear porch, originally similar to the front, was enclosed in the 1870s and two new brick chimneys were built for the created rooms. A one-story frame wing was added to the rear in 1939. John Calvin Wilson served in the Forty Second General Assembly of South Carolina and was a successful planter. Wilson died in Jackson Hospital in Richmond, Virginia, of complications from a thigh wound sustained in the Battle of Cold Harbor. The property includes two contributing original brick outbuildings. Listed in the National Register June 28, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.