|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Scott House, Williamsburg County (506 Live Oak St., Kingstree)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation|
The Scott House is one of the oldest houses in Kingstree and a fine example of mid-nineteenth century vernacular architecture. It was built ca. 1843 by Joseph Scott, a wealthy planter, trustee of the Kingstree Academy, and politician who was elected to the state legislature in 1836. The house changed hands many times after Scott’s death, its owners including many citizens prominent in local history and politics. The house is a two-story frame building, sheathed in weatherboard, with a side-gabled roof. The fašade is three bays wide and features a “Carolina” or “rain porch” supported by slim, tapered piers. The entranceway on the first floor contains double doors with sidelights and transom. The house rests on a brick foundation, has two exterior brick chimneys, and an embossed tin roof. The windows are six-over-six double-hung sash with full paneled shutters. Listed in the National Register June 28, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Kingstree, ca. 1823-1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.