|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Salters Plantation House, Williamsburg County (Gapway Rd, Salters)
|Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation||Main Entrance||Kitchen House|
|Garage|| Play House
and Pump House
The Salters Plantation House is an important example of nineteenth century domestic architecture combining national, regional, and local architectural trends. It was built by William Salters not long before his death in 1833 and has been added on to many times since. The Greek Revival influence in its detailing coexists well with the symmetrical I-house pattern typical of the inland and upper South. The front “rain porch,” supported by six stuccoed brick columns on squared brick bases, is a regional feature associated with eastern South Carolina and the Pee Dee. Behind the main house are the domestic outbuildings: a small frame house that was connected to the main house as a kitchen until 1959, a ca. 1947 playhouse, and a ca. 1915 one-car garage. Further back are the farm buildings: a ca. 1890 commissary, a storage barn and a tobacco pack barn. Built for a successful planter who was a prominent citizen in early Williamsburg District, the house, at the time of nomination, remains occupied by his descendents. The house is also significant for its association with Captain John Alexander Salters (1815-1898), the successful planter, S.C. representative and only son of William on whose land Salters Depot was established, leading to the development of the town of Salters. Listed in the National Register June 2, 2000.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.