|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
M. F. Heller House, Williamsburg County (405 Academy St., Kingstree)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation||Detail Right Elevation|
| Parlor, Pressed Metal
Ceiling and Gaselier
(Arrowsmith House; Old Methodist Church Parsonage) The M.F. Heller House is significant architecturally as an excellent example of the evolution of a house from a one-story antebellum cottage (ca. 1845) to a substantial two-story residence (ca. 1895). As such it is reflective of different uses over time and the changing needs of its occupants. A portion of this house (ca. 1845) remains as the only antebellum residence built within the original limits of Kingstree, a town which had its beginnings in the Ulster-Scot settlement of Williamsburg in 1732 and which as late as the mid-twentieth century was the setting for numerous other antebellum and later nineteenth-century buildings. Set upon a stuccoed brick pier foundation that has been infilled with stuccoed brick panel recesses, the M. F. Heller House is a two-story, lateral-gabled residence, sheathed in weatherboard, with a shallow gabled ell at the right rear. The house is also locally important for its association with a number of Kingstree’s and Williamsburg County’s more prominent citizens, most notably Mitchal Frederick Heller. The house served as a parsonage from 1863-1881 and was occupied by the Arrowsmith family from 1939 to 1976. Listed in the National Register May 19, 1994.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.