|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Clarkson Farm Complex, Williamsburg County (U.S. Hwy. 52, Greeleyville vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Left Oblique||Rear Elevation|
|Right Rear Oblique||Main Entrance||Detail Front Porch||Detail Rear Porch||Front Stairhall|
|Smoke House||Store||Garage #1||Garage #2||Cook's House|
(William Nicoll Clarkson House) The Clarkson Farm Complex includes a main house, store, smokehouse, garage, stable/garage, tenant house, pumphouse, wellhouse and pecan grove, dating from ca. 1896 to ca. 1928. Constructed by William Nicoll Clarkson (1871-1956), this collection of resources is significant as an intact late nineteenth/early twentieth century agricultural/commercial complex. Additionally, the main house, built ca. 1905, is a significant example of an elaborated and expanded I-house, a house type found throughout South Carolina, but most commonly in the Piedmont. The two-story frame building rests on a brick pier foundation and has a standing seam metal roof. A rear ell with an intersecting gable roof extends from the main block of the house, creating a L-shaped plan. Adjoining the ell at the rear is the original ca. 1896 one-story house. The Clarkson Store, built ca. 1896, and moved across the highway in 1928, is representative of a disappearing resource, and is significant as one of few surviving rural commercial buildings of its period in the Pee Dee region. A contributing pecan grove, planted in 1922, is to the south of the house. Listed in the National Register October 6, 1988.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.