|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Corinth Baptist Church, Union County (N. Herndon St., Union)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Interior|
This church was built in 1894 as the first separate building to house Corinth Baptist Church, which was the first black congregation in Union. It is significant both for its association with the early black history of Union and as an example of an early vernacular interpretation of the Gothic Revival architectural style, common to religious buildings of the period. Corinth Baptist Church was established ca. 1893 and had its first services in the old Union Methodist Church, near the present location of Union Mill. In 1893 Thomas C. Duncan, owner of the new mill, intended to expand his operations and build a company store; he purchased the old building and lot from the congregation for $600. The congregation purchased a lot on North Herndon (then Judgment) Street in January 1894 and began construction of a new church, which was completed by the end of the year. Listed in the National Register July 20, 1989. It has since been significantly altered.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.