|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Union Community Hospital, Union County (213 W. Main St., Union)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Right Elevation||Right Rear Oblique|
The Union Community Hospital is significant due to its importance in the development of medical services for the African American population of Union County. The hospital was founded at a time when racial barriers barred African American physicians and patients from local public hospitals. In an effort to provide more adequate medical care for African Americans, Dr. Lawrence W. Long founded in the Union Community Hospital in December 1932. Through Dr. Long’s efforts, the hospital became a center for yearly clinics aimed at providing African American physicians with continuing education and the opportunity to keep abreast of new developments in the medical field. A leader in the African American medical community, Dr. Long served as President and later Chairman of the Board of The Palmetto Medical, Dental and Pharmaceutical Association and also consulted with President John F. Kennedy at the White House during the early phases of the Medicare program. Long pushed for the integration of the medical professions, the removal of the barriers to African Americans in public hospitals, and the provision of adequate training for African American medical students. Union Community Hospital provided services to the African American community of Union County for 43 years. It is a two-story building whose front section was formerly a frame residence, ca. 1915, on which a brick veneer has been placed. The rear section, built in 1949, is of masonry construction with a brick veneer. Listed in the National Register August 1, 1996.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.