South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Union High School-Main St. Grammar School, Union County (E. Main & N. Church Sts., Union)
S1081774402301 S1081774402302
Facade Portico Detail

(University of South Carolina-Union Administration Building) Built in 1909, Union High School is significant for its association with twentieth-century education in Union and as an intact example of the Neo-Classical style used in designing public schools. Notable features include the brick parapet, central projecting bay and large pedimented portico supported by composite columns, the double-door entrance with sidelights and semi-circular fanlight, semi-circular brick arch with voissoirs, wide frieze with dentils and modillions, and panel inscribed “1909.” The school was the first secondary school in the county and was composed of the eighth through the eleventh grades. By 1925 the number of students had increased to the extent that a move was necessary. In 1927, grammar school students were moved into the building and the name was changed to Main Street Grammar School. In 1965 the Union Campus of the University of South Carolina acquired the building and rehabilitated it to serve as its main campus building. Listed in the National Register July 20, 1989.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the City of Union, ca. 1823-1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.