|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
South Street-South Church Street Historic District, Union County (Union)
|323 W. South St.||319 W. South St.||318 W. South St.||316 W. South St.||315 W. South St.|
|314 W. South St.||313 W. South St.||311 W. South St.||310 W. South St.||309 W. South St.|
|308 W. South St.||306 W. South St.||302 W. South St.||301 W. South St.||205 W. South St.|
|204 W. South St.||203 W. South St.||200 W. South St.||113 W. South St.||108 W. South St.|
|Page 1 of 3|
The South Street-South Church Street Historic District is a significant collection of 88 properties along South Street, South Church Street and South Pinckney Street. This district is primarily residential in character and includes properties dating from ca. 1850 to ca. 1930, with the majority dating from ca. 1850 to ca. 1915. The district developed as an important residential neighborhood near the commercial center of Union. The district includes the finest collection of period residences of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries identified in Union, and represents well the characteristics of an upper income residential sector in a small town of the era. Many of the community’s most distinguished architectural specimens are located in the district. The character of the district is defined by many large-frame Queen Anne inspired houses built ca. 1880-1910, in addition to Neo-Classical, Gothic Revival, Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, Four-Square, and Bungalow style buildings. The district includes the first Carnegie Library established in South Carolina. There are 14 key properties, 57 contributing properties, and 17 noncontributing properties in the district. Listed in the National Register May 19, 1983; Boundary increase July 17, 1989.
View a map showing the boundaries of the South Street-South Church Street Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the City of Union, ca. 1823-1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
View the complete text of the nomination form for the boundary increase of this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.