|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Central Graded School, Union County (309 Academy St., Union)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Oblique||Right Elevation|
Built in 1891, Central Graded School is the oldest surviving public school building in Union County. Architecturally, it is a good example of the plain, solidly built, “modern” school building of the late nineteenth century. The influence of the Romanesque Revival style current in the 1890s is evident in the large semi-circular arched openings of the bell tower, the prominence of the tower, the variation in size of windows, substantial brick masonry walls, and an asymmetrical floor plan. The original portion of the building is T-shaped, with the square bell tower in one angle of the “T.” The interior of the older portion, including 12 classrooms of simple and functional design, apparently remains essentially as it was when built. Rear portions of the building, added in 1899, 1904, and ca. 1930, generally match the style and construction of the original portion. The two-story school was built on the site of the Unionville Female Academy. Ownership of the building was transferred in 1976 to the University of South Carolina, Union Regional Campus. Listed in the National Register March 30, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.