|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Meng House, Union County (117 Academy St., Union )
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Right Rear
|Left Oblique||Main Entrance|| Interior
(Clough-Wallace House) The Meng House, significant as an excellent example of Greek Revival architecture, is also recognized as a landmark in the town of Union. The date of construction has traditionally been accepted as 1832 and Zachariah Herndon is credited as the builder and first owner of the structure. Four generations of the Meng family have since occupied this house. Prominent features include the two-story Doric porticos on the south and west facades and the tripartite windows in the center of each gable. Four stucco-over-brick columns support a Doric entablature composed of a well-defined triglyph, metope, and guttae motif. The only exterior addition is attached to the north fašade. Two stories in height, the wing houses the kitchen with bathrooms above. A standing-seam terne metal roof covers the house. The Meng House is one of the few well-preserved Greek Revival structures remaining in Union. Listed in the National Register July 12, 1976.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.